Homeowners and Residential
Homeowners and Residential
A Little Effort Can Pay Big Dividends
The average Iowa family spends more than half of its annual household energy bill on heating and cooling. That’s a significant number, but you can dramatically reduce these costs—up to 20%, according to ENERGY STAR®—by making some simple energy-saving weatherization and insulation improvements to your home.
Energy efficiency in the home is a family matter. The appliances used, thermostat settings, insulation, and occupant habits all play a role in the amount of energy used at home. The Energy Center’s Learning Institute offers Iowans the following tools to help you make smart decisions when it comes to your energy efficiency and renewable energy projects.
Visit our interactive Home Energy Tour or download a pdf of our Home Series books for tips on:
- Tightening, Insulation and Ventilation [PDF]
- Heating and Cooling [PDF]
- Water Heating [PDF]
- Major Appliances [PDF]
- Solar PV Energy Guide [PDF]
Looking for energy efficiency and renewable energy incentives such as financing, tax information, and other resources? Check out these resources:
- Rebate Programs – Iowa Utility Rebate Program
- Assistance For Low-income – Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is a federal grant established to help reduce the heating and cooling costs for low income persons, particularly the elderly, disabled, and children, by improving the energy efficiency of their homes.
- Loan Information – The Alternate Energy Loan Program (AERLP) provides loans to any individual or organization who wants to build renewable energy production facilities in Iowa. Successful applicants receive a single, low-interest loan that consists of a combination of AERLP funds and lender-provided funds.
- Information On Policy – The Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (DSIRE) is a comprehensive source of information on state, local, utility and federal incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Solar Tax Credits – The state of Iowa may have tax credits in place for those who install solar at their home or place of business.
Energy Saving Tips
Visit the Alliant Energy website and MidAmerican Energy website for information on residential energy savings in Iowa. Their websites include energy calculators for appliances, heating and cooling systems, lighting and more.
Home Renewable Energy Installations
Interested in taking a big step in home energy savings? Visit this informational resource from the Department of Energy on ways to incorporate clean energy like solar, wind, or hydropower systems in your home.
Geothermal in Your Home
The Iowa Energy Center is often asked about geothermal energy in homes and businesses. Beyond our case studies and Home Series book on home heating and cooling, we offer links to such organizations as the:
GHPC was established as a collaborative effort with the U.S. Department of Energy and other public and private sector organizations for a “Geothermal Heat Pump Technology Demonstration and Market Mobilization Program.” Their web site offers case studies and publications on Geothermal Heat Pump technology as well as an online guide to Geothermal heating and cooling in the residential home.
Want to heat your home and your water through solar energy? Check out our Solar Calculator for research and data on the possibilities of solar energy. The Energy Center also provides tips on solar energy use in our Home Series book on Water Heating.
Web Tools and Calculators
- Wind Assessment Study and Calculator
Interested in wind energy? The Energy Center’s Wind Calculator can assist you in researching data on wind speeds in Iowa.
- Solar Calculator
The Energy Center’s Solar Calculator covers data using the solar technologies of photovoltaic electricity generation and solar thermal for domestic heat and hot water.
- Ask an Expert
Have an energy efficiency or renewable energy question? Visit our Ask an Expert web tool to search for questions and answers or submit your own question. Our staff will promptly respond and assist you.