Energy Resource Station (ERS)
A Facility With Unequaled Capabilities
The Iowa Energy Center’s Energy Resource Station (ERS) is designed for the simultaneous testing and demonstration of multiple, full-scale commercial building HVAC systems. No other facility in the nation has the system capabilities that are integrated within the ERS, making it a truly unique laboratory building.
The information gathered at this research facility provides practical information for building owners, architects, engineers and building operators on cost-effective, energy-efficient technologies for commercial and industrial buildings. The ERS also provides an environment for hands-on training for this group of energy professionals – showing rather than telling them – how to maximize the efficiency of the building systems they already have and what to look for when it comes time to invest in new HVAC equipment.
The ERS conducts Iowa Energy Center sponsored applied research and collaborative research with national energy laboratories and organizations. Solving the most critical problems and enhancing the technologies in all areas of energy efficiency is the main focus of the facility. Real world demonstrations of HVAC equipment and control systems, are also conducted at the ERS and the facility hosts educational training seminars and classes related to building energy efficiency.
For more information on how we can collaborate with you, please call the Energy Resource Station office at 515.965.7055 or email us at email@example.com.
Energy Resource Station (ERS)
Research results and hands-on equipment demonstrations at the Energy Resource Station give consumers information to select the most cost-effective and efficient options for their businesses. Besides encouraging the use of energy-efficient products, this information provides the supporting data necessary to simplify analyses of energy options and life-cycle costs. Innovative research being pursued at the ERS is helping develop and evaluate energy efficient technologies of tomorrow.
The benefits of the Energy Resource Station have far reaching effects on Iowa, encompassing the state’s economy, environment and Iowa’s role as a national leader in implementing energy-efficient technology.
- Saving building and business owners money and energy
- Increasing energy efficiency to boost Iowa’s economy and reduce the number of energy dollars leaving the state
- Establishing unbiased product performance information. This will allow Iowa businesses and homeowners to make more secure investments in energy-efficient technologies and systems
- Providing technical training programs for energy and building professionals
- Introducing new energy-efficient technologies to Iowans
- Reducing pollution levels in local communities
- Reducing Iowa’s dependence on imported energy
The Energy Resource Station was conceptualized under the direction of a planning team made up of industry leading architects, engineers, contractors, utility representatives and building managers. The primary objective of the facility and its staff is to:
- Establish high-quality, unbiased information on energy-efficient building technologies
- Test and demonstrate commercial HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning)
- Provide a basis for quality energy efficiency programs that boost local economic activity
- Meet the needs of Iowa’s building owners and operators, engineers, architects and utilities
The ERS was established for the purposes of examining various energy-efficiency measures and demonstrating innovative heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) concepts. The ERS is unique in that it allows for dynamic testing of an entire system within a controlled environment. The facility has laboratory-testing capabilities combined with real building characteristics and is capable of simultaneously testing two full-scale commercial building systems side-by-side with identical thermal loadings and control schemes.
To download a PDF outlining the full technical capabilities of the ERS, please click here.