Practical information on cost effective, energy-efficient technologies for commercial, industrial and agricultural entities can be hard to find. The Energy Center is committed to providing reliable information on energy efficiency.
Iowans interested in energy efficiency commercial events have access to trainings, webinars, presentations, and workshops on our Events Page.
Learn more about projects and partnerships in commercial, industrial and agricultural energy.
Moving Research Toward Commercialization
At the Energy Center’s Biomass Energy Conversion Facility (BECON), the business model is to seek promising bench-scale research that can be scaled-up to pre-commercial scale units. Pre-commercial units can be tested at the facility, and their operations demonstrated under a variety of conditions.
The Energy Resource Station (ERS) is designed to simultaneously test and demonstrate multiple, full scale commercial building heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems. The ERS is the only testing facility in the nation with these unique and integrated system capabilities.
- Wind Assessment Study and Calculator
Interested in wind energy? The Energy Center’s Wind Calculator can assist you in researching data on wind speeds in Iowa.
- Solar Calculator
The Energy Center’s Solar Calculator covers data using the solar technologies of photovoltaic electricity generation and solar thermal for domestic heat and hot water.
- Direct Digital Controls
For a current and complete, unbiased listing of direct digital controls (DDC) vendors and information, visit the Energy Center’s DDC Online.
Looking for energy efficiency and renewable energy incentives such as financing, tax information and other resources? Check out these options:
- Rebate Programs – Iowa Utility Rebate Program
- Assistance For Low-income – Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is a federal grant established to help reduce the heating and cooling costs for low income persons, particularly the elderly, disabled, and children, by improving the energy efficiency of their homes.
- Loan Information – The Alternate Energy Loan Program (AERLP) provides loans to any individual or organization who wants to build renewable energy production facilities in Iowa. Successful applicants receive a single, low-interest loan that consists of a combination of AERLP funds and lender-provided funds.
- Information On Policy – The Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (DSIRE) is a comprehensive source of information on state, local, utility and federal incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Solar Tax Credits – The state of Iowa may have tax credits in place for those who install solar at their home or place of business.
Publications, Presentations and Case Studies
Visit the Farm Energy Initiative at Iowa State University for publications on farm energy efficiency. Download our presentation on Industrial Energy and the Energy Center’s industrial program. The Iowa Energy Center grant library provides access to Energy Center presentations, case studies, publications and grants on industrial energy efficiency.