Youth and Energy Scholarships
The Energy Center awards scholarships to Iowa high school students at the State Science and Technology Fair of Iowa for exceptional energy-related projects. Since 1997, the Energy Center has awarded 70 scholarships worth over $140,000. Energy-related projects can fall under many of the science fair’s listed categories. From engineering and physics, to botany and earth sciences, energy plays a role.
Energy Education and Workforce Development Grants
The Energy Center seeks to provide Iowa students and adult learners with practical and credible energy education that contributes to the environmental, social, and economic well-being of Iowans. An Energy Center award would fund, among other things, curriculum development and online adaption, instructional design, supporting workshops and promotional materials, and independent education evaluation.
STEM/STEAM and Educational Links
In addition to the scholarship program, the Energy Center also provides resources related to the educational initiative STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), a state-wide initiative that promotes the study of the sciences and applied sciences. Initiatives are in place to encourage students to study and enter occupations such as engineering, technology, and research. The State of Iowa also has a Governor’s STEM study and initiative to improve the quality of science education in Iowa schools, community colleges, colleges and universities.
What is STEM?
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. This is an education initiative that promotes the study of the sciences and applied sciences. Initiatives are in place to encourage students to study and enter occupations such as engineering, technology, and research. The State of Iowa also has a Governor’s STEM study and initiative to improve the quality of science education in Iowa schools, community colleges, colleges and universities.
What is STEAM?
STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, The Arts, and Math. This is an education initiative that integrates the arts into STEM careers and occupations. Examples of these are architecture and design. The integration of the arts includes creative thinking and problem solving in addition to the critical thinking and problem solving required of scientists and engineers.
Helpful Links for K-12 Education
- Center for Energy and Environmental Education(CEEE) at the University of Northern Iowa
- Defined Learning: STEM learning platform
- George Lucas Educational Foundation: Edutopia. Empowering and connecting teachers, administrators, and parents with innovative solutions and resources to better education.
- Energy Kids from the U.S. Energy Information Administration includes a teacher’s guide, energy calculators, games and activities and other online tools for teachers and families. Be sure to check out their page on Wind Energy.
- Energy Star: A federal government-backed program helping businesses and individuals protect the environment through superior energy efficiency.
- Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
- Iowa Council of Teachers of Mathematics: Working to improve mathematics education in Iowa.
- Iowa STEM: A virtual community of leaders in STEM education.
- NEED: National Energy Education Development Project
- Science Fair of Iowa
- Trees Forever
- Publication: Energy Literacy, Essential Principles and Concepts for Energy Education