Reflecting on the valuable interwoven processes fueled by biomass, it is easy to see why Iowa and BECON are uniquely equipped to lead the way in this emerging field. The major objectives at the BECON facility are as follows:
- Provide credible, firsthand information on renewable, biomass-based fuels, and chemicals.
- Create research, testing, demonstration, and training opportunities on cost-effective biomass conversion systems.
- Focus on biomass-based fuels and chemicals as value-added agricultural products.
- Bridge the gap between laboratory research and real-world applications by working at the pilot-plant scale.
- Create opportunities for rural economic development.