STEM and Educational Resources
What is STEM?
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. This is an education initiative that promotes the study of the sciences and applied sciences. Initiatives are in place to encourage students to study and enter occupations such as engineering, technology, and research. The State of Iowa also has a Governor’s STEM study and initiative to improve the quality of science education in Iowa schools, community colleges, colleges and universities.
What is STEAM?
STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, The Arts, and Math. This is an education initiative that integrates the arts into STEM careers and occupations. Examples of these are architecture and design. The integration of the arts includes creative thinking and problem solving in addition to the critical thinking and problem solving required of scientists and engineers.
What are 21st Century Skills?
The following are essential skills required of every citizen to thrive and function in the Twenty First Century workplace and world.
- Learning and Innovation Skills
Skills related to creativity and innovation, critical thinking and problem solving, and communication and collaboration.
- Digital Literacy Skills
Skills related to information literacy, media literacy, information and communication technologies (ICT) literacy,
- Career and Life Skills
Flexibility and adaptability, initiative and self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity and accountability, leadership and responsibility.
Helpful Links K-12 Education
- Center for Energy and Environmental Education(CEEE) at the University of Northern Iowa
- Defined Learning: STEM learning platform
- George Lucas Educational Foundation: Edutopia. Empowering and connecting teachers, administrators, and parents with innovative solutions and resources to better education.
- Energy Kids from the U.S. Energy Information Administration includes a teacher’s guide, energy calculators, games and activities and other online tools for teachers and families. Be sure to check out their page on Wind Energy.
- Energy Star: A federal government-backed program helping businesses and individuals protect the environment through superior energy efficiency.
- Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
- Iowa Council of Teachers of Mathematics: Working to improve mathematics education in Iowa.
- Iowa STEM: A virtual community of leaders in STEM education.
- NEED: National Energy Education Development Project
- Science Fair of Iowa
- Trees Forever
- Publication: Energy Literacy, Essential Principles and Concepts for Energy Education