Practical information on cost effective, energy-efficient technologies for commercial and industrial buildings can be hard to find. The Energy Center is committed to providing building owners, architects, engineers and building operators with information on energy efficiency.
Iowans interested in energy efficiency commercial events have access to trainings, lectures and workshops on our events page.
Learn more about Iowa Energy Center projects and partnerships in commercial, industrial and agriculture energy efficiency.
Moving research towards commercialization
At the Energy Center’s Biomass Energy Conversion Facility (BECON), the business model is to seek promising bench-scale research that can be scaled-up to pre-commercial scale units. Pre-commercial units can be tested at the facility, and their operations demonstrated under a variety of conditions.
The Energy Resource Station (ERS) is designed to simultaneously test and demonstrate multiple, full scale commercial building heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems. The ERS is the only testing facility in the nation with these unique and integrated system capabilities.
Wind Assessment Study and Calculator
Interested in wind energy? The Energy Center’s Wind Calculator can assist you in researching data on wind speeds in Iowa.
The Energy Center’s Solar Calculator covers data using the solar technologies of photovoltaic electricity generation and solar thermal for domestic heat and hot water.
Direct Digital Controls
For a current and complete, unbiased listing of direct digital controls (DDC) vendors and information, visit the Energy Center’s DDC Online.
Looking for energy efficiency and renewable energy incentives such as financing, tax information and other resources? Check out these options:
- The Alternate Energy Loan Program (AERLP) provides loans to any individual or organization who wants to build renewable energy production facilities in Iowa. Successful applicants receive a single, low-interest loan that consists of a combination of AERLP funds and lender-provided funds.
- The Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (DSIRE) is a comprehensive source of information on state, local, utility and federal incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Iowa Utility Rebate Program
A Rural Electric Cooperatives energy efficiency rebate program offered by the Central Iowa Power Cooperative (CIPCO). CIPCO is a generation and transmission cooperative serving 12 rural electric cooperatives (REC) and one municipal electric cooperative in the state of Iowa.
- The Iowa Department of Revenue announces new legislation for solar energy systems installed on property located in Iowa. Eligible systems must be in service on or after January 1, 2012, but before January 1, 2017. Credits awarded are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- The IADG Energy Bank Revolving Loan Fund provides low-cost financing to energy efficiency and renewable energy projects for Iowa businesses and industry.
- Energy Star provides a Federal Tax Credits for Consumer Energy Efficiency page on their website for 2012 and 2013 tax credit information.
Case Studies and Research
Visit our Grant and Research Library for access to current and past commercial and industrial case studies and grants.