The Department of Energy asked it’s followers how they save money on energy over summer vacation via #tipsEnergy on Twitter. They suggest that while on vacation, don’t pay for energy at home that you’re not using; here are some simple steps to take before heading out the door to your summer getaway.
Some of the tips included:
- Turn down the water heater
- Set the thermostat higher than usual
- Unplug “energy vampires” such as electronics chargers, coffee grinders, TVs, printers, etc
- Keep the window shades drawn
- Make sure all lights are turned off
You can also check out their “Energy Saver” page for more tips on saving money on energy.